Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Day Twenty Five: Toilet Talk

Wednesday October 19th, 2011

We awoke this morning to the sewer backed up into the shower and the kitchen sink. Yuck!! Never have I been so glad to be a renter in my life! Not even a renter - a visitor! We just called Will and let him know "Umm, the sewers backed up in your house" (he had a few choice words) and left for school without showering. (Or eating breakfast). It was absolutely delightful not to have to deal with any of it! Hurrah! Well, not delightful to be unshowered and hungry, but delightful that it didn't really impinge on our day any. But also a kind of warning about British plumbing - brace for disaster if you wish to embrace living here!

Anyway, this event gives me an ideal jumping off point for toilet talks. British toilets are absolutely fascinating in the endless array of flushing apparatus(es?) that they come equipped with. I have now made it a habit of spending a few minutes studying the 'waste elimination device' before I have a seat, just to make sure I am capable of flushing it when I am finished. No joke! Some of these can be hard to figure out! And one doesn't like to go around randomly pushing buttons and pulling levers in a bathroom, after all.

Here are just a couple of the models I have encountered. (I take pictures with my iPod - that way people don't know what a complete wierdo I am - no flash!)

 I think this might be the toilet at the school. If it is I never did figure out what both buttons were for.

 This is our toilet at home. Push one half down and you get a little flush, push both down and you get a bigger flush.
This is Richard breaking our toilet at home. Don't worry he fixed it. He also wants me to note that this occured at least a month AFTER the sewer problems, chronologically speaking.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment