Monday, October 3, 2011

Day Nine: Football and Ironing

Have I mentioned that we really enjoy living with Americans? One of the definite perks is their cable package that includes ESPN sports! Because it wasn't a super-popular game, BYU vs. University of Utah didn't get a time slot until this morning at 8:30, and I was there on the couch to be a super-fan! It really was a fabulous game, final score 27-24 BYU.


Also, check out this blog for one of the greatest pictures from the game, Harvey Unga working his touchdown magic!

After the football game I got in some desperately needed ironing, watching all the Royal Wedding specials that were recorded on their Tivo while doing so. We are now mostly presentable. (except for my hair!). In addition to the missing personal care appliances, I have now spent 4 hrs on the street, simply searching for a bath towel. I'm going to have to say that I think an essential cleansing item shouldn't be quite so difficult to locate. We have taken the train to 2 different stores which falsely advertised that they sold towels, only to find after a 45 mom commute each way, that they do not, in fact, have towels. All I have to say is that anyone who has ever whined about Walmart putting under small businesses has never actually tried to live in a community without one. In fact, I'm seriously considering naming my firstborn child Sam Walton Goering, in honor of my hero. If anyone with Londoner expertise would like to suggest a location where I could find the following, it would be much appreciated. Bath towel, hand towel, (I broke found a flimsy thin washcloth-esque facial towel which I promptly paid 3$ US for and was grateful. At walmart it would be 25 cents! And to stuff one in a suitcase would have cost nothing, but who knew the British don't use them?! I also need some mechanical scales for weighing myself to make sure I still fit my new clothes by the time we leave, pillows, sheets and laundry detergent. Help, anyone?!

Speaking of diet-I now know the secret to British weight gain. CARBS- I have spent 9 very hungry days attempting to locate a low carb meal option. I was super excited to finally locate a bank of salads, only to discover that ALL of them also contained couscous, rice, or small sliced potatoes on top!! I JUST WANT LETTUCE w some chicken!! and maybe cheese, yeah, cheese would be nice. No potatoes, no rice, no Madeira potatoes, no noodles...JUST VEGGIES!!! Richard had to remove me from the store before I had a complete meltdown.

Lessons Learned
1. I can't iron and pay attention to football at the same time.  Things burn. Wedding fluff pieces have a much higher success rate.
2. Londoners do not, apparently, purchase washcloths and towels on a regular basis.
3. Making a dish, including salad, without shocking amounts of carbohydrate present, appears to be some form of British culinary blasphemy
4. Letty does not handle hunger and the inability to cleanse herself well. My apologies to the employees at Marks and Spencer.  It's not their fault their store is completely inadequate and falsely advertises products it does not, in fact, sell. 


No comments:

Post a Comment